Assistant Director Todd Mealy will lead a special tour of African American and Civil War historical sites in Harrisburg. Students will visit the National Civil War Museum and the recently installed Crossroads monument honoring African American leaders and the Old Eighth Ward. Later in the evening, students will also enjoy an outing at a Harrisburg Senators minor league baseball game. By Thursday night, students will produce their first writing assignment for the course –a blog post about the Harrisburg field trip.
Before the trip, graduate TA Cooper Wingert gave students an overview of Harrisburg’s role in the slavery crisis and the Civil War. Here is a longer version of that discussion from a lecture Cooper delivered at the US Army Heritage and Education Center in 2015:
- FEATURED WEBSITE: National Civil War Museum
- FEATURED WEBSITE: Texas Farmer’s Civil War (NCWM / HD)
- FEATURED WEBSITE: Digital Harrisburg (Old Eighth Ward)
- Article by Prof. Mealy on the new Crossroads monument
- Blog post about Amos Barnes by Cooper Wingert