Apply today to experience a free college seminar over this summer and to gain a network of friends and mentors who could help shape your life for years come.
Using the history of abolition movements as a backdrop, rising seniors from low-income households will get a taste of college life in a program to be offered by Dickinson College over the next three summers. —FROM THE CARLISLE SENTINEL
When is the application deadline? (UPDATED DEADLINE)
Applications must be received by midnight on FRIDAY, MAY 27, 2022
Who is eligible to apply to the Teagle seminar at Dickinson College?
- Any rising high school senior, but we give preference to students from south central Pennsylvania
- We also give preference to applicants from low-income families or for those who would be first-generation college students
It’s very easy to apply to the 2022 Teagle / Knowledge For Freedom seminar at Dickinson. There’s only four steps:
- Fill out the single-page form and get a parental signature
- Write a brief personal essay (500 words or less)
- Have your school guidance office share a copy of your current transcript
- Have a teacher or school official send us a letter of recommendation
SUBMIT BY EMAIL TO: HDIVIDED@DICKINSON.EDU
STEP 1: SINGLE-PAGE FORM (APPLICANT)
- Download and print out the short application form
- The form asks for some basic contact information
- The form also asks you to explain if you qualify for preference as a low-income or first-generation college student. This information is kept confidential and self-verified only.
- Finally, the form requires signatures from BOTH the applicant and a parent or guardian
STEP 2: BRIEF ESSAY (APPLICANT)
- Please answer the following question in 500 words or less on a separate sheet or sheets of paper: Describe what you are like as a student, and which academic skills you are most determined to improve in college.
- Begin your essay with a brief descriptive title and your name.
- We do prefer to see these essays typed and single-spaced, but handwritten documents are acceptable.
- Here is a sample essay to help inspire some ideas.
STEP 3: TRANSCRIPT (SCHOOL GUIDANCE OFFICE)
- Please ask your high school guidance office send us a copy of your most recent transcript either via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with subject line: Teagle Seminar 2022 or by regular mail: ATTN: Matthew Pinsker, Dickinson College, PO Box 1773, Carlisle, PA 17013. We can also provide a secure fax number upon request.
- If you have any difficulties obtaining a copy of your transcript before our MAY 27 deadline, please contact us at email@example.com and we will explore some alternative reporting options.
STEP 4: RECOMMENDATION (TEACHER / OFFICIAL)
- Please ask a teacher, coach or school official who knows you well to write a brief letter of recommendation on your behalf. They should send us that recommendation (to firstname.lastname@example.org) from their own school email account no later than May 27, 2022 (UPDATED)
Please send your documents from Steps 1 & 2 as attachments to a single email to email@example.com with the subject heading: Teagle Seminar 2021. You can attach these documents as Word files, scanned PDFs, or even images (JPGs) taken from your phone. Just please make sure you send ALL of the required documents by FRIDAY, May 27, 2022 (UPDATED)
UPDATED COVID STATEMENT: Participants in the 2022 seminar will be required to be fully vaccinated and boosted at least one month prior to their on-campus arrival on July 10, 2022. Those unable to meet this requirement may request permission to participate remotely during our three-week session.