Project Launches to Public Acclaim

Civil War Carlisle

The House Divided Project made its official launch on the weekend of April 15 – 16, 2011 as part of a series of events designed to commemorate the beginning of the Civil War 150th anniversary. The launch weekend included a documentary film festival, K-12 teacher workshop, augmented reality walking tours of Civil War Carlisle, and a keynote address by noted historian David Blight from Yale University.


Click on the link below to watch the video




Press coverage from the House Divided Project launch:

Dickinson College Magazine

“Acclaimed House Divided web site uses new technology and a Dickinson lens to teach Civil War History.” Click here for the full article

Dickinson College News & Events Features

“Held  the week that the nation marked the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, the launch included a film festival, an interactive teachers’ workshop, app-assisted tours of a major Underground Railroad site and a lecture by a nationally noted historian.” Click here for the full article

Harrisburg Patriot-News, April 15, 2011

“Among places with a story are the Old Cumberland County Courthouse in Carlisle, where Dickinson College this weekend will kick off its Civil

War 150th initiative, House Divided, a project five years in the making.”

Click here for the full article

Carlisle Sentinel, April 16, 2011

“The trio of films, created as part of the House Divided Project the college has initiated for the sesquicentennial of the Civil War, told the stories of three very different men with very different backgrounds and their very different experiences during the Civil War.” Click here for the full article

Bookmark the permalink.

One Comment

  1. Among places with a story are the Old Cumberland County Courthouse in Carlisle. The first Cumberland County courthouse was a temporary log structure on the north-east corner of the square built in 1753. In 1766, a new brick courthouse was built on the south-west corner, running north to south, with the clock-tower and entrance facing High Street. An office annex was added in 1802. Both burned to the ground on the night of March 23-24, 1845.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *