Dickinson College / Gilder Lehrman Institute

Valley of the Shadow

The archives on this sight are unbelievable. My favorite part is the animated battlefield. I was amazed at the number of battles some of these units were involved with like the First Virginia Cavalry they must have been in 20 battles. I liked the assignment ideas Will came up with. The first one was selecting a family and follow them throughout the war. The election of 1860 through newspapers and finally what were women’s lives like. I could see anyone of these being short term or long term projects and being able to set a difficulty level for each of them for example seventh graders could talk about one battle or one person whereas 8th graders could go more in depth.

Previous

“A strange little document…”

Next

How sleep the brave …

1. I liked the examples of student projects based on this web resource also. As a Park Ranger with the National Park Service, developing educational resources and programs is one of my responsibilities. It is really great to have an idea of what works for both students and teachers. As a ranger and an adjunct college instructor, I also teach professional development courses for K-12 educators, so everyone’s blogs and comments are providing a lot of ideas for resources and activities. Would welcome any additional suggestions.

2. Nick

I was thinking about how to you the valley of the shadow in my unit plan all night. I think I finally came up with a good idea tha combines the valley of the shadow with wordle etc. The reason I say this is it has been a long time since I was this excited about some of the tools I have learned over the summer. I can’t wait for the last day of the seminar, but I hate to see it come to an end!