Share Your Stories

Are you a descendant of someone who served in the USCT during the Civil War? Does your family have relics, photographs, records or other documents from the wartime era that you might want to share copies with others? Have you studied the stories of black soldiers and have research of your own to share online with a wider community? Please consider using this space to contribute your voice to this growing discussion. You can participate in several ways:

1) Share a comment about this post that provides any information you would like, including the uploading of digital images from your computer in the form of old photographs or documents (just click the Comment link, then use the “Image: Browse” button underneath the online comment form and upload your image files or jpgs).

2) Or email us at hdivided@dickinson.edu if you have questions or information that you don’t necessarily want to post for everyone to see. We will do our best to help answer your questions, promote your work, or help you network with experts or others who can help

3) Finally,we are also seeking some dedicated volunteers who might want to become registered correspondents at this site with the capacity to post their own research entries like the ones you see across the various sections. If you’re interested in such an assignment and feel you have the capabilities to help others learn more about the USCT or can help others overcome the challenges of African American genealogical research, then please email your resume to hdivided@dickinson.edu and explain your interest and we will explore building a connection with you.

Now is the time for everyone to share in our nation’s Civil War history as the 150th anniversary of that conflict approaches. And no stories need greater exposure than those of the African American patriots of the USCT.

This entry was posted in Share Your Stories. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Share Your Stories

1. pinsker says:

Here is a sample of what a photo looks like when uploaded within a comment. Just use the browse function to search your computer files. Upload the jpg and then type in your comment or description of the image. This image of Frederick Douglass at the age of about 61 comes from the Library of Congress via the House Divided Project, http://housedivided.dickinson.edu. Clicking on the image will enlarge it.

[img]hddouglassf1c.jpg[/img]

2. I have always been interested in this event since 1992 when my family history research begin, and I started finding out about my ancestors that fought in the civil war, Now I have confirmed 13 civil war ancestors and have most of their pension records, what amazing stories are revealed in those records, stories that make you cry, stories that make you proud, stories that anger you, but most of all stories that educate far beyond any education I recieved from formal schooling, Thank God this event will honor those brave Colored Soldiers once again for the part they played in saving this Union.

[img]eliasgrave.jpg[/img]

3. Here is a interesting Article concerning one of my Civil War ancestors by the name of Charles Slaughter,now a lot can be read into what is said in this article,and many attempts by myself and fellow family researcher Jackie have come up with many senarios of what this article really says.You can read it and draw your own conclusions.now I own Charles Slaughter’s Pension record but I don’t have much space here to go into it, suffice it to say he joined the Union side as a substitute (interesting huh?) and recieved his 300 dollars. he is buried in riverview cemetery Huntingdon Pa. also mentioned are 2 white men who paid their 300 dollars as to not fight in the war.but what amazed me and what educated me,is that those who to this day still wave their confederate flags and give their various reasons for doing so (pride,heritage etc.. etc..) but deny the fact that the war was fought over slavery,here lies my answer to them in this little article,please read it and give me your feedback thank you.
    Sincerely Charles Anderson Robinson

[img]charlesslaughterasadstatement.jpg[/img]

4. Frank Hebblethwaite says:

What a fascinating article posted by Mr. Robinson! You’re absolutely right. I could spend an entire afternoon reading and re-reading the article about Charley Slaughter contemplating what it really means . . . What was Charley Slaughter really saying? Was he quoted accurately by the “Monitor”? Was the “Monitor’ quoted accurately by “The Huntingdon Globe”? If he was quoted accurately, why would Charley Slaughter say what he did? Apparently, he wanted to separate himself from African Americans held in bondage in the South. Who are Caldwell and Speer, and how are they related to Charley Slaughter, if at all? And, as was very common in 19th century America, “The Huntingdon Globe” revealed its own prejudice (probably without even realizing it) when they talk about the “culud bredren.” What a story in three little paragraphs.

5. NBlake says:

I found “Simon Spann” as member of the 104th Colored Troops in South Carolina with service of 10 months for 1865 to 1866. What I know is he is listed as father to my greatgrandmother Roxy Spann in the US 1880 Census Noxubee County MS. I know that he was born in South Carolina. Since there is no age listed on the discharge it’s difficult to know if this is truly my ancestor. What’s next?

[img]spanncensus.jpg[/img][img]simonspannspecialschedule.jpg[/img]

6. This Is anoth one of my civil war ancestors Levi R Chaplin he fought for the 6th USCT.

There is a book I have By JAMES M. PARADIS a autographed copy I might add, and its about “THE 6th United States Colored Infantry In The Civil War. 4 of my ancestors fought with the 6th. here is a letter Levi wrote back to his Hometown Newspaper in Huntingdon Pennsylvania.

[img]levirchaplin.jpg[/img][img]civilwarletterfromlevichaplin.jpg[/img]

7. To Mr Frank Hebblethwaite Thank you. I read more about Cadwell and Speer some where I’ll have to re visit Charles Slaughter’s File,Because I believe they are mentioned in his pension file, they were not related to him,just 2 Knuckle Heads who held the same sentiments as the Monitor news paper about the purpose of fighting the war,saving the Union and abolishing slavery can not be seperated as causes for fighting the civil war they went hand in hand, if the south had won who knows Slavery would have lasted a whole lot longer,and I believe the face of this country would have been totally different.

8. To MR NBLAKE – have you tried to locate his Pension Record?
    Those records are filled with Affidavit after affidavit by friends and family members testifying to the truthfulness of the soldier in question, you may find links to other family members by looking over his LONG PENSION FILE and it can be obtained from the National Archives in D C .

9. What a great honor it will be to participate in the 2010 Grand Review.

10. Me and my nephew at the Grand Review Marker.

[img]1_usct4.jpg[/img][img]2_usct4.jpg[/img]

11. Pingback: Pennsylvania Grand Review » Descendants’ Profiles

12. Anita Wills says:

Two of my Great-Great Grandfathers who served in the Civil War (USCT).

1. Green Henry – (First Two documents) Civil War Pension Records of Great-Great Grandfather, Henry Green who served as a Private in the 41st USCT, from Lancaster County.

2. Martin, Uriah – Headstone of Great-Great Grandfather, Uriah Martin, who was a Corporal in the 41st USCT, out of Lancaster County. Uriah is buried in Union Hill Cemetery at Kennett Square.

[img]grnhnrmilpa.jpg[/img][img]grnhnrmilpa2.jpg[/img][img]urmrtnpa.jpg[/img]

13. Harriett Gaston says:

The Altoona Tribune of May 29, 1907 listed the names and cemeteries of Civil War veterans:

Oak Ridge: Burris, James, 32nd USCT
    Lyle, James W., 3rd USCT
    Ormes, Basil A., 127th USCT
    Plowdon, Benjamin, 3rd USCT

Eastern Light: Hollinger, Stephen, 43rd USCT
    Jackson, George W., 31st USCT
    Thomas, James W., 5th USCT
    Worley, Aaron, C., 6th USCT

Allegheny Furnace: Taylor, W. H., 32rd USCT

Hollidaysburg: Brown, Robert, 45th USCT
    Elder, C., 22rd USCT
    M?, ?, USCT
    Petes, Simon, 49th USCT
    Penlow, George, 4th USCT
    Robinson, Charles, — USCT
    Watkins, Samuel, — USCT

Bellwood: Taylor, James C., 89th USCT

Tyrone: Jones, John, 8th USCT
    Johnston, Thomas E., 25th USCT

The first three cemeteries are located in Altoona, PA, Eastern Light is the cemetery most African Americans were buried in, but as you can see there are two others as well. Allegheny Furnace no longer exists. The Altoona Mirror is located on the grounds where this cemetery existed. Hollidaysburg’s cemetery is known as Union Cemetery. I do not know where the Bellwood Cemetery and the Tyrone cemetery is located.

I uploaded some of the tombstones from the Hollidaysburg’s cemetery. I’m also in touch with a gentleman from Bedford, who is the caretaker of the black cemetery there.

I have also documentation from the 54th Massachusetts (www.54th-mass.org) that nine men from Blair County fought with this group.

Thank you for documenting this group of men.

[img]blairctyafricanamericanheritage007.jpg[/img][img]blairctyafricanamericanheritage010.jpg[/img][img]blairctyafricanamericanheritage014.jpg[/img]

14. Jeannette L. Molson says:

The cemetery in Bellwood is called Logan Valley Cemetery and is located in Blair County. My great grandfather, James Carter Taylor, and his brother, Harrison Taylor, are buried there.

Also buried in Eastern Light is William Nelson Molson.

The headstones for James C. Taylor and William N. Molson are online on the Blair County website.

15. Harriett Gaston says:

Thanks Jeannette for the information. I continue to find information from the Blair County Geneaology on the USCT troops in that area. Sarah Molson’s dress will be on displayed at the African American Heritage Festival on Saturday, July 26 at the Penn State Altoona campus (12pm to 6pm).

I did find that the Tyrone cemetery is called Grandview.

16. Jeannette L. Molson says:

Harriett, I am so glad that Sarah Molson’s wedding dress is still being displayed. I was happy to facilitate its being donated to the Blair County Historical Society. When asked what I thought should be done with the dress, I immediately thought that it should be displayed for all to see and enjoy. I’ll let the family know about the upcoming event.

17. Jeannette L. Molson says:

Cemetery where James Carter Taylor, Sr. and his brother Harrison Taylor are buried.

[img]loganvalleycemeterybellwoodblaircountypa.jpg[/img]

18. Jeannette L. Molson says:

There is an organization called the SUVCW, which stands for Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. This organization has a national database with names of those who served. In checking some of the names listed on the various sites of the PA Grand Review, I noticed only a very few who were listed on the database. I have communicated with the National Graves Registration Officer and have been encouraged to make this site known to you who either have relatives or know of those who served during the Civil War. All of the members of my family are listed at this site as I submitted their names a few years ago. What is needed is the name of the individual, regiment, company, enlisment date, date of discharge, burial site, DOB, DOD, plus miscellaneous information. I encourage you to have your veterans listed. This database encompasses all who served and excludes no one.

19. The Hollidaysburg Group of soldiers are great photos, thanks for posting them. Is there a headstone there for George Penlow? he is one of my 13 Civil War Ancestors.

20. My Great Great Great Grandfather John G Chaplin and his Son in Law Charles Nesbit’s Father William Nesbit were on the committee of arrangers for the orginal 1865 event in Harrisburg. Hi Jeannette.

21. Jeannette L. Molson says:

Hi Charles – My great great grandfather, Samuel D. Molson, and a first cousin three times removed, by marriage, Orra L. C. Hughes, were also on the same committee.

Are you going to post your Civil War relatives on the SUVCW database?

22. William Webb says:

My 4th great-grandfather, George Edmonson, fought in the Civil War. He was discharged from the 127th U.S.C.T. By 1869, he was in Parkersburg, WV and is buried in Spring Grove Cemetery. I have posted some of his original documentation.

[img]georgeedmonson001.jpg[/img][img]enlistmentpaper001.jpg[/img][img]georgeedmonson002.jpg[/img][img]georgeedmonson003.jpg[/img][img]1_georgeedmonson003.jpg[/img]

23. Marva Queen says:

My great great uncle, George J. Irons, fought in the Civil War. He belonged to Co.K, 22nd Inf.(1832-1909). He mustered out in 1865 Brownsville, Tx. In his papers he is listed as one of the Regt. Band Leaders. He is buried in the Union Cemetery, in Hollidaysburg, Pa.

[img]844772r10322.jpg[/img]

24. Marva Queen says:

My great great grandfather, George W. Lyons, fought in the Civil War.He belonged to the 41st.USCI Co.F. (1847-1904).He mustered out in 1865 after being present with his company on the assault on Petersburg (Va), which ended in Lee’s surrender. . He is buried in Hollidaysburg,Pa. Union Cemetery.

My great great uncle ,James Lyons, fought in the Civil War. He belonged to the 54th Mass. Co B.(dod-1905). He mustered out 1865, Charleston, S.C.. Noted in his pension files, he was injured by one of the cannons, know as the Swamp Angel,while attmepting with others to place it in positon. With injuries received, he continued with his regt. till the end. He is buried in the Union Cemetery, Hollidaysburg, Pa. With the moving of the original Union Cemetery to it’s present place, some of my family tombstones were not found when I recently visited the area. All of my family names noted, are on the wall at the Washington, D.C.Civil War Wall Museum.

[img]1_844772r10718.jpg[/img]

25. Jeannette L. Molson says:

William Webb –

If you provide me with the information that is listed above regarding what is needed to be on the SUVCW site, I’d be happy to post it. I’ve checked the site and George Edmonson’s name is not listed. The records you have listed on this site, I can’t open. I know his name is listed on the CWSS site.

26. Jeannette L. Molson says:

Marva –

Your family members’ names have been submitted to the SUVCW for review and then will be posted.

27. Jeannette L. Molson says:

NB Blake –

A Simon Spann of the USCT 104th, Co. I, is listed at Ancestry.com on the 1890 Survivor’s Schedule. This record reflects that he was discharged by a Surgeon’s Certificate. Also, this Simon Spann is found on the 1870, 1880, and 1900 South Carolina Census Records in Swimming Pens, Sumter County, SC. He is also listed on the Pension Records showing his wife, Martha E., as his survivor. On the 1900 Census record it shows that he was born in January 1840 in South Carolina.

28. Marva Queen says:

Thank you Jeannette.

29. Marva Queen says:

I am sorry but I have to make a correction regarding my posting on James Lyons who served in Co B.54th Mass. He is not buried in Union Cemetery in Hollidaysburg, Pa but in Erie, Pa in the Solders and Sailors Burial Grounds.(1826-1905).

[img]1001665.jpg[/img]