The McClintock Riot took place on June 2, 1847 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania after two slave owners from Maryland arrived with plans to capture three fugitive slaves. After breaking into a house in Carlisle, the two men were arrested. Local authorities also placed the fugitive slaves in custody. The Pennsylvania legislature, however, passed a law in early March 1847 that made it illegal for state officials to help anyone trying to catch fugitive slaves. After Professor John McClintock told Judge Samuel Hepburn about the new law, Hepburn “pronounced them illegally in custody.” A riot occurred as the fugitive slaves left the courthouse. While two  fugitive  slaves escaped,  one was forced to return to Maryland. Professor McClintock denied that he was responsible for what happened:

“All that I did was to try to do my duty to the laws of the land. But the slavecatchers have spread abroad the report that I incited the riot, and have sworn to it, and I am under bail to appear at August court.”

Several other letters and newspaper articles related to this even are also available on House Divided.