“Deeply Impressive Services at Henry Spradley’s Funeral,” Carlisle (PA) Herald, April 12, 1897, p. 4: 2.
Deeply Impressive Services at Henry Spradley’s Funeral.
The funeral services of Mr. Henry Spradley were held in Bosler Hall at 2 30 o’clock this afternoon. It was originally intended to have the obsequies in the West Street A. M. E. Church, of which the deceased was a prominent member, but that edifice would not have been sufficiently large to accommodate the attendance.
Spacious Bosler Hall was completely filled with an audience composed of white and colored people. The college had been closed for the afternoon, and about one half of the audience represented the faculty and nearly the entire student body of Dickinson College, who had assembled to pay their last tribute to the deceased, who in life had been the venerable bell ringer and janitor that institution.
A number of friends and relatives from out of town were in attendance at the funeral.
The casket, containing the remains, occupied a prominent position in the front part of the hall and was surrounded by most beautiful floral tributes. Music was furnished by the College quartette which sang, “Safe in the Arms of Jesus,” and also by the West Street A. M. E. Choir.
The funeral sermon was preached by Mr. Spradley’s pastor, Rev. W. J. Holland, who in the course of his eulogistic remarks, gave an interesting sketch of his life. Addresses were made by other preachers who were in attendance. The services were deeply solemn and impressive throughout.
The pall bearers were: Wm. Chapman, Wm. Jackson, Andrew Beals, Richard Sellers, Noah Pinkney, Chas. Baltimore, Robert Thompson, Sr., and Robert Young. Interment was made in the North Pitt Street Graveyard.