Warning: require_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 106 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 146 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 147 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 148 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 149 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 150 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 151 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 152 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 153 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 154 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 158 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 159 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 160 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 171 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 171 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 201 Warning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 214 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 219 Warning: require(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 220 Warning: require_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2905 Warning: require_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-settings.php on line 314 Warning: require_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-blog-header.php on line 16 Warning: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-includes/template-loader.php on line 74 Warning: require_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-includes/template.php on line 501 The cabin floor | Civil War & Reconstruction Online Course Warning: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-includes/script-loader.php on line 566 Warning: include(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /var/www/housedivided/sites/wp-includes/script-loader.php on line 51

The cabin floor

When Professor Pinsker (I mean Matt) spoke of how Abraham Lincoln used quotes from John Brown’s trial in his second inaugural address it sent shivers down my spine. The two of them were closer idyllically than either wanted to admit.

It was September 20,2009 I was standing on a floor in the Adair cabin. My feet were still upon the floor where 150 years ago escaped slaves had seeked refuge for a night. It was also a place John Brown frequented to be safe. It was the house of  his cousins the Adairs. I was part of the Freedom Festival for the  John Brown Museum in Osawatomie ,Kansas . I stood their in my Lincoln attire feeling proud of who I was about to portray on stage. Yet an uneasy feeling came over me as if someone wanted me to never enter the cabin . I felt some eyes pearcing into me. I slowly turned and saw a women in civil war period dress in Florella Adair’s rocking chair . Her eyes were watery and seemed full of hate. I gracefully and as peacefully as possible extended my hand  “I’m Abraham Lincoln” “I’m Florella Adair  and you have unjustly and cruely ruined the good deeds of John Brown”. We stayed in character for twenty minutes and through many tears and a patient ear we agreed both men wanted the same thing.Somehow I had won  her over . She hugged me and I hugged her . In my speech I stayed true to Lincoln’s words but I did not condem John Brown’s character. The woman I talked to, her real  name was Mary Buster, Florella Adair’s great-great-grandaughter.

Posted in Discussion, Memory
One comment on “The cabin floor
  1. salbertson says:

Wow! What an incredible experience that must have been.